Sunday, May 6, 2012

Visiting the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

Today I went to the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley.  I was interested in learning more about President Reagan because he was the subject of my biography at school. Since we went there  so early, there was no line! Last time I went, the line was so long, we couldn't even go in.  Coincidentally, I found out that my grandpa received a letter from Ronald Reagan thanking him for his work in marketing the Ronald Reagan Library in 1991.  I saw many interesting things today. 

For example, we saw Air Force One, which is the humongous airplane that flew seven U.S. Presidents.  It was so cool to go into Air Force One!  There were three bathrooms on the plane, the President's office, the First Lady's sitting area, a spot for the press to sit, the cockpit and two kitchens to cook food, one for the President and his wife and one for everyone else.   I also saw the President's limo, one police car, three police motorcycles, and Marine One, which was the military helicopter for the President's use.  

Other interesting things we saw were:  the actual video of President Reagan getting shot, the jacket that President Reagan was wearing when he got shot (it had three holes in it), a replica of the Oval Office (where President Reagan worked), a real piece of the Berlin Wall (the wall that kept the East separated from the West in Germany), and finally, the grave site of President Reagan.

I also saw a George Washington moving exhibit that was inside the Reagan Library.   The exhibit showed George Washington's fake teeth made out of real hippopotamus teeth, cow teeth and ivory.  Martha Washington's shoes from her wedding to the President were also there.  They looked very fancy. 

This is a picture taken by me of Air Force One.  The hangar (area where the plane is) is over 90,000 square feet.
This is a photo by Dana (my mom) of the limo President Reagan rode in.

This is a replica of the Oval Office (where the President worked).  Photo taken by me.
This is a photo taken by me.  This piece of the Berlin Wall was given to President Reagan for changing millions of people's lives with his "Tear Down this Wall Speech."


Sadly, President Reagan died and this is his grave site.  The plaque in the middle says "Ronald Wilson Reagan, February 6, 1911- June 5, 2004."


Here are some facts about the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library:

  •  Air Force One is 152 feet, 11 inches
  •  Air Force One flew President Reagan over 600,000 miles, to 26 foreign countries and to 46 U.S. States
  • President Reagan received an actual piece of the Berlin Wall on April 12, 1990
  •  the Reagan Library is the largest of all the Presidential libraries

Have you ever been to the Reagan Library?  

If so, can you add to my facts?

What President do you find interesting?




12 comments:

  1. Dear Sammy,

    I was thrilled to see that you went out to the Reagan Library! What a fabulous way to complement (remember that homophone?) your biography book report! After reading all about President Reagan it must have been interesting to see some of his documents and certainly the Air Force One exhibit!

    I have been to the Reagan Library two times. The last time I got a chance to see the Air Force One exhibit. The way they displayed it with the huge windows made it look like it could take off at any time!

    I researched presidential libraries and learn that there are thirteen of them. The libraries are building for people to visit and read documents and see important artifacts from a particular president.

    What are some facts that you learned from the visit that you did not read about in your library book?

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mrs. Yollis,

    Yes, it was interesting to see the documents that I read about in the book hanging on the walls. It did look like Air Force One was about to take off! I was a little nervous getting on. I learned that after two days in the hospital President Reagan recovered from the bullet shot. I also learned, not from my book, that President Regan was buried at his Library.

    Sincerely,
    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sammy and Mrs. Yollis,

    First let me thank you Mrs. Yollis without you and Sammy I wouldn't have had such a great Sunday (yesterday).

    Yesterday, at Sammys direction (a direct result of Mrs. Yollis planting an intriguing seed in my son's head), we went to the Regan Library, and I enjoyed it so much! Being there really brought me back to being a child. I was ten years old when Regan took office, and I clearly remember the election night in 1980 (right?), and watching the coverage on television. Watching his assasination attempt when I was just a young kid (not much older than a third grader) was a big moving moment in my life then and again yesterday.

    Sammy and I tried to go to the Library a couple years ago, but after waiting a half an hour for the the shuttle bus to get us up the hill in 100 degree heat, and then a huge line to get in the Library, we had no choice but to leave and try again another day.....Yesterday!!!

    I would highly suggest a trip there to anyone!

    Your proud Dad,
    Lance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Dad,

      Thank you for leaving a comment! It really made you feel like a kid?! WOW, I can't believe we couldn't get in to the Ronald Reagan Library a couple years ago, but when we went this time, there was no line! On that day it was so HOT! The temperature was around 100 degrees!(That's hot!) I had a fun time going with you!

      Your son,
      Sammy

      Delete
  4. Dear Sammy,

    The photos and information in your post are wonderful. In Australia we have prime ministers in charge of government not presidents. It isn't a tradition for our former prime ministers to set up magnificent libraries such as the Reagan Library.

    The facility must be huge to have space for Air Force One. The replica of the oval office looks very authentic.

    I remember Ronald Reagan being elected as President and the fall of the Berlin Wall. I know he is also remembered within the US Navy. The aircraft carrier, USS Ronald Reagan, is quite a ship.

    Thanks for sharing photos and information about the Reagan Library.

    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenden(Mrs. Yollis's classMay 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

      @ Mr. Mannell,

      Great comment! I agree with you, Sammy's photos and information are wonderful. It is very interesting that in Australia the prime ministers are in charge of the government, not presidents. Yes, the faculty is very big for Air Force One. I did not know that Ronald Reagan was part of the US Navy. From what I've heard so far about Ronald Reagan I would like to go to his historic library.


      Your Blogging Buddy,
      Brenden

      Delete
  5. @ Mr. Mannell,

    Thank for leaving a great comment! I do know that in Australia you don't have a President. I know that the Prime Ministers don't get their own Library's, but do they get a monument after them when they die? Yes, the room that holds the Air Force One is about 90,000 square feet. WOW THAT'S GIGANTIC!
    The picture of the Oval Office does look authentic.

    I know you have 5 blogs and I want to comment on it, so can you please leave a link in your next comment?

    Your blogging friend,

    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sammy!
    Sounds like you had fun. What was your favorite thing there? I might want to go, too.
    Do you think that you would want to try to fly Air Force 1?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sammy,

    Wow, what a great post! My absolute favorite part of your post was when you mentioned that you got to see the real video of Ronald Reagan getting shot. That sounds truly awesome!

    The President that fascinates me is President Lincoln. I thought he was a democrat, but he is a republican. It is odd, in my opinion, that he kept his papers in his tall, black hat.

    Sincerely,
    Royce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Royce,

      Thank you for leaving a comment. I wouldn't say watching the video of Ronald Reagan was so cool, it actually was quite sad! If you watched the video you would see Ronald Reagan all of the sudden get pushed in the limo.

      President Lincoln interests me, but I find President Reagan a little more interesting.

      It does sound right that he kept papers in his tall, black, and rounded hat.

      Your Friend,
      Sammy

      Delete
  8. @ Cole,

    Thank you for leaving a comment! Yes, I did have lots of fun! My favorite part was going in Air Force One, and seeing the Limo he rode in. No, I don't think I can fly Air Force One.

    Have you ever been to the Ronald Reagan Library?

    Sincerely,
    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    I had the great privilege of visiting the Reagan Presidential Library. Plenty of shots here:

    http://www.slickpic.com/u/AlphaWhiskey/photoblog/post/RendezvousWithDestiny

    Happy 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete

***********************************************************************************
How to leave a comment:

1. Write your comment in the box that says "Enter your comment"

2. Click "select profile." Click on "Name/URL" and type your name in the first box, then hit continue (no need to type a URL address). You can also use your google account by clicking "google account" if you prefer.

3. After signing in, check your comment by pressing preview. If you see any mistakes, you can push edit and make changes.

4. If there are no changes, publish your comment.

5. You will have to type in a two word code, then push continue

6., You should then see a message that says "your comment will be visible after approval."